NHS inducts 49 new members with official ceremony

Kim Edwards, secretary of NHS, lights the second candle for the second chapter
Kim Edwards, secretary of NHS, lights a candle which represents each passage of important qualities of an NHS member which include character, scholarship, leadership and service.

On Monday, Sept. 23, at 7 p.m., the NHS Induction Ceremony took place in the PHS Auditorium and many newly-elected members were nervously excited for their official induction into the society.

National Honors Society is one of the highest honors awarded at Pattonville, and it is a great recognition of achievement.

Newly-elected NHS member Kendra Moore said, “It makes me feel really smart, and it makes me feel like all my hard work is finally paying off.”

Although it is a great honor just to be selected for NHS, it is a requirement to attend the induction ceremony to become an official society member.

Band Director Mr. Dennis McFarland and his students accompanied the Induction Ceremony. After the entrance of the Inductees and senior members, everyone was asked to rise for the Pledge of Allegiance.

Science teacher Ms. Erin Mulanax, who is a Pattonville graduate and former NHS member, was the guest speaker at this year's induction ceremony.
Science teacher Ms. Erin Mulanax, who is a Pattonville graduate and former NHS member, was the guest speaker at this year’s induction ceremony.

As the Inductees patiently waited to be called up on stage, Ms. Erin Mulanax, the guest speaker, created an insightful outlook on the high school process. As a former Pirate and NHS member, she reminded the students not to forget to have fun during their four years at Pattonville.

Her inspiring speech was followed by the interpretation of the society’s principles. The officers of NHS explained the history of the society, which included five candles to light for each passage. The officers then listed the important qualities of an NHS member, which include character, scholarship, leadership, and service. The inductees were expected to recite the society’s pledge, followed by Principal Dr. Joe Dobrinic presenting the new inductees for the 2013-2014 school year.

The 49 new inductees crossed the stage and collected their certificate, as they shook hands with the mentors on stage.  Shortly after, the Induction Ceremony came to a close as the Inductees rejoiced with their friends and family.

“Being inducted into this club makes me feel very accomplished, considering all the hard work I’ve put into my grades and my community. I’m very proud to be in this society,” Ashanti Carey, inductee NHS member, said.