Fall play receives positive turnout on opening night, tickets still available for weekend performances

Joey Schneider

Last night, Pattonville’s theater club began the first of three performances for their fall play “And Then There Were None.” Under the direction of Lara Corvera, 11 actors, 29 crewmembers, and three student managers put together a show consisting of several mysterious occurrences.

“I was so excited for opening night,” said Senior Chaz Fox, who played Phillip Lombard. “It feels awesome to perform in front of an audience now, and we wanted to put on a great show for everyone.”

This remake was slightly different than other fall plays that theater has held in the past. However, the play was able to smoothly incorporate humor and suspense in an act recognized as a mysterious work.

“Even though most of our fall plays are usually comedies, this play is more of a murder mystery.” said stage manager Madison Faraar. “It’s nice to show the dramatic side of theater with special effects.”

The show involved a large amount of preparation from nearly 50 students. All of the students involved made commitments and arrangements to stay after school and improve their theatrical skills to prepare.

“Since the second week of school, we’ve had rehearsal every day after school until 5:30 [p.m.],” said Faraar. “We even had some Saturday rehearsals to improve set building and help actors memorize their lines.”

The plot consists of three acts and five major scenes. The play starts with eight guests being invited by an absent host to a house on an island off the coast of Devon, England. The house consists of statuettes of little soldier boys that represent unusual deaths, while the actors use a nursery rhyme to figure out their fate and the murderer.

“People should be on their toes trying to figure out the murderer, just like the actors are doing [in the play],” said Faraar. “We’ve worked really hard, and we’re excited to put on an entertaining show for our audience.”

For those who missed opening night, theater holds two more performances tonight and tomorrow at 7 p.m. Tickets are sold in the auditorium before both shows and cost $3 for students and $5 for adults. Seating may be limited and tickets tend to sell out quickly.