Non-Pattonville students will not be allowed to attend My Tie dance

Pattonville is hosting a new dance this year called My Tie, a Sadie Hawkins-style dance where the girls ask the boys to go with them. Traditionally, Pattonville has two dances, homecoming and prom. Pictured is the high school gym during the 2013 homecoming dance.

UPDATE Jan. 31: After a meeting with athletic director Mr. Bob Hebrank, “No” was the answer to the question whether guests will be able to attend the My Tie dance. Students were told that building principal Dr. Joe Dobrinic is making this dance just for the students that attend Pattonville High School. The reason he gave was because it is just a casual dance and that it will only be held for two hours. He added it’s just something for students to do after the Mr. PHS event is over.

Pattonville High School has decided to try something new this year. A Sadie Hawkins-style dance will be taking place on Feb. 21 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. right after the Mr. PHS event. They’re also deciding to try something else new, not allowing guests from other schools to attend.

However, this decision is not completely set in stone. Students went to building principal Dr. Joe Dobrinic’s office in search of finding out rather this rumor is true or not. Dobrinic’s secretary told us she wasn’t sure and to ask STUCO directors Ms. Sarah Guilfoyle and Ms. Heather Lopez. When Lopez was asked, she said it was up to the principals and sent the students to Positive School and senior principal Dr. Donna Burd’s office.

“This is my first time hearing anything about this,” Burd said.

She went on to say it would be up to activities director Mr. Bob Hebrank and if he didn’t want to make a decision, then all the principals would have to come together and decide.

An appointment to have a meeting with Hebrank has been set up for Friday, Jan. 31.  Updates will be available after this meeting.

When sophomore Victoria Stickman was asked if she thinks people from other schools should be allowed to attend the dance, similar to what the policy is for homecoming and prom, her answer was yes.

“The reason why this matters to students is because some people have significant others at a different school. It would be a better turn out,” Stickman said.

She followed that up by saying she doesn’t know if she will go to the dance because it would depend on who will be allowed to go.

“Even with the uncertainty of who gets to go,” Stickman said, “it’s cool that the girls have to ask the guys for a change.”