When lacrosse crossed Hernke

unnamedExhilarating. The heart-pounding, adrenaline-rushing game of lacrosse came to Pattonville in the year of 2013. With the help of Biology and Human Anatomy teacher Ms. Megan Hernke, the season came out with a bang.

When assistant principal Jon Fitzgerald asked Hernke to be the running coach for lacrosse, Hernke couldn’t help but say yes, even though she had no prior experience of playing the sport.

“I knew only the stuff that I researched,” Ms. Hernke said with a laugh, explaining that she knew very little about the sport to begin with.

After the season came to a close, her knowledge of the sport has “improved exponentially.”

As she now has a better feel on lacrosse, Hernke can only hope for an improvement from last season as well as “more people to come watch games and more home games.”

She admits the season should be “less chaotic, because people kind of know what they’re doing.”

With the first try-out for lacrosse being Feb. 24, Hernke said any student not thinking about playing is “missing out.”

“Lacrosse is awesome, the girls are awesome, and everyone should come watch the games,” Hernke concludes.