Snow is melting and spring sports are quickly approaching

Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 8.05.42 AMWith the amount of snow days accumulating, spring sports is the last thing on many students’ minds. While the snow days gave many students a great way to take some time off, spring sports are quickly approaching for athletes. However, just like last year, many spring sports may have to begin practicing in the snow. While many students are hoping that isn’t the case, the date for spring tryouts have been set for Monday, March 3.

Some students are taking the time before formal tryouts start to prepare and condition for their upcoming season.

For Junior Ashanti Carey, preparing for girls soccer has always been a necessity.

“I would say train hard in the off-season, train harder during the season, and have fun,” Carey said.

Pattonville Varsity Soccer (PVS) has open gyms every Thursday evening from 5:30 to 7 p.m. and has training after school every Wednesday and Friday. Carey said if students are interested in playing soccer, they should check out the open gym practices.

While some athletes may be slacking off during their off-season, other students are preparing as hard as they can.

Sophomore Kyle Skaggs runs long-distance track at Pattonville and believes in preparing a lot during the off-season.

“I’m more about getting in better shape, and staying healthy,” Skaggs said.

He believes in practicing and getting in shape as early as possible so the practices during the season will be much easier.

With the weather lately, many students have only been able to practice outdoors when the weather permits.

Junior Katie Scoopmire is getting ready for the lacrosse season, which is entering its second year at Pattonville.

“I workout at the J a lot, and I go to captain practices which are practices directed by the captains, not the coaches,” Scoopmire said.

March 3 is the first day for spring sport tryouts. Physical forms and other required paperwork can be picked up in the mailboxes outside the athletics office. These forms need to be submitted before the first practice in order to participate during tryouts.