Blues bolster goaltending with Ryan Miller

In a major attempt to become Stanley Cup contenders, the St. Louis Blues acquired U.S. Olympian and former All-Star goaltender Ryan

Goaltender Ryan Miller played against the Blues on Nov. 19 and lost 4-1. He will become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013-14 season. Photo courtesy of St. Louis Post Dispatch.
Buffalo Sabres’ Ryan Miller (30) battles the net with St. Louis Blues’ Alexander Steen (20) while Jaime McBain (4) carries the puck away during the second period of an NHL hockey game in Buffalo, N.Y., Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013. (AP Photo/ Gary Wiepert)

Miller from the Buffalo Sabres just hours ago. The trade was finalized around 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 28, and involved both Miller and forward Steve Ott joining the Blues, at the expense of trading well-known goalie Jaroslav Halak, two-way forward Chris Stewart, minor leaguer William Carrier and two draft choices.

Here is what Miller had to say on this opportunity through Twitter:

Pattonville students had mixed reactions to the trade as well.

Miller sports a record of 15-22-3 with a .923 save percentage (SV%) and 2.72 goals against average (GAA). However, over his career he has 284 wins against 186 losses and 56 overtime losses. His resume is quite impressive leading the Buffalo Sabres to the Eastern Conference Finals three times (2006, 2007, 2010, 2011) as well as playing for the silver medal U.S. Olympic Hockey team in 2010.

Personally, I think the move is a bit of a shocker, but will pay dividends in the long run. The Blues received a consistent backstop that should thrive given our strong defense and playing in a supportive hockey city allows him to build on his strengths and great hockey experiences.

To learn more about Miller, check out these highlights