Arlin Funk passes away

From St. Louis Post-Dispatch obituaries:

Arlin Funk passed away after a very hardfought and brave battle with cancer at the age of 43 years. He was born March 1, 1968, in Hillsboro, KS, to Norman Funk and Viola Lorentz (nee Peters). Arlin’s fight has been a great inspiration to everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him and many others who did not. Arlin was raised in rural Kansas and graduated from Emporia State University, where he met the love of his life. Arlin married his best friend Kimberly Thornburg on July 2, 1994, in Kirkwood and have made a home for their family in St. Charles County. Arlin is very proud of his two children, Mikayla (13) and Andrew (11) who will carry on his memory. As a PE teacher at Remington Traditional and Parkwood in the Pattonville School District and as a coach, Arlin was a mentor to many children and so many others for 16 years. He never met a stranger and always gave so much of himself to help anyone who needed him. He was an organ donor and was able to help others after his passing. Arlin will be greatly missed by his wife; children; parents; brother Jerry (Carolyn) of Mound Ridge, KS, and their children Keith Boesker (Cassie) of McPherson, KS, and Kelsey Janzen (Daniel) of Hutchinson, KS; sister Kristy Heffren (Paul) of Topeka, KS; sister Karen Burch (Brian) and her children Lexus, John, and Iain of McPherson, KS; in laws Susan and Harold Richard Thornburg of Kirkwood; sister-in-law Gina (Mark) and her children Nathan and Matthew of St. Charles County; 2 great nieces and 2 great nephews; and many more special friends and family. A trust fund will be set up for Arlin’s children. Donations can be made out to Mikayla or Andrew Funk and mailed to 713 Jacobs Station Road, St. Charles, MO 63304 or OUR M.O.M. INC to help melanoma research. Services: Funeral Sat. March 3, 10:00 am at Dardenne Presbyterian Church, 7400 Highway N, 63368. Interment Ste. Philippine Cemetery. Visitation Fri. 3-8:00 pm at Bopp Chapel, 10610 Manchester Rd., Kirkwood. www.boppchapel.com

Arlin Funk, a PE teacher at Remington Traditional and Parkwood Elementary, passed away after a battle with cancer.