In St. Louis, The Boys of Fall play baseball

rangers-busch

The name, The Boys of Fall, pretty much always refers to football players, but in St. Louis, Missouri, there is another team, that plays a different sport, who has earned that name.

The St. Louis Cardinals find themselves in postseason play quite often; in fact, since they became the Cardinals in 1900, they have 26 playoff appearances which is third out of the current MLB teams (Los Angeles Dodgers have 27 and the New York Yankees have 51), 19 pennants which is second out of the current MLB teams (New York Yankees, 40), and 11 World Championships, which is once again second behind the New York Yankees (27).

Based on those stats from Baseball Reference, the Cardinals are the second most successful team in MLB history, but who helped them be so successful?

Key Contributors

In 1934, pitcher Dizzy Dean won the MVP while leading the Redbirds to their third World Series title. Dean was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame with a career record of 150 wins and just 83 losses, a 3.02 earned run average, and 1,163 strikeouts.

Probably the most famous and most-loved Cardinal of all time, Stan “The Man” Musial, won his second of three MVPs while the Cardinals won their sixth world title in 1946. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1969 and was a 24-time All-Star (1943, 1944, 1946–1963), a three-time World Series champion (1942, 1944, 1946), a three-time NL MVP (1943, 1946, 1948), seven-time NL batting champion (1943, 1946, 1948, 1950–1952, 1957) and was named to the Major League Baseball All-Century Team.

In  more recent histoy, Yadier Molina, Chris Carpenter, Albert Pujols, David Eckstein, Adam Wainwright, Michael Wacha, Jim Edmonds, and David Freese have given huge contributions to deep playoff runs and/or a World Series title.

And in 2014, it’s looking like another playoff run is on the way for the St. Louis Cardinals.

So who is going step up this year and put their name in the Cardinal history books?

Matt Holliday? Matt Carpenter? Oscar Taveras?

Stay tuned to Cardinal baseball and you will find out soon enough.

Click here to see all the Cardinals who have won an MLB award.