Cardinals player Oscar Taveras dies in car accident

Kameron Key

Fans gather outside the new Ballpark Village entertainment complex across the street from Busch Stadium before the start of a baseball game between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Cincinnati Reds Monday, April 7, 2014, in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

As we all know, Cardinals’ prized outfielder Oscar Taveras passed away on Sunday, October 26. Taveras, 22, was with his 18-year-old girlfriend on a road in his home country, the Dominican Republic, speeding during a rainstorm and lost control of his car hitting a tree killing them both.

In a time like this, baseball doesn’t seem as important to some people, but for some players in the MLB from the Dominican, baseball, outside of friends and family of course is all they have. It is their getaway from life. And death. When they are on that field, playing for their team and their team’s city, they can get away from all the negative stuff in life. The big leagues is the only chance that these players have to get out of a country in turmoil and provide for their families.

Taveras’ death has caused a lot of mourning, not only for his blood family and his friends at home, but for his brothers and family in the baseball community. The amount of respect that has been sent to Oscar Taveras and his family is remarkable.

Fans and players from all over the United States have paid their respects. No matter what team you are on, if you are rivals, or what team you cheer for, the baseball community is one big family, that shares one passion: Baseball.

Cardinals’ manager Mike Matheny said it best in the statement he released regarding Oscar:

“In my opinion, the word “love” is the most misused, and misunderstood word in the English language. It is not popular for men to use this word, and even less popular for athletes. But, there is not a more accurate word for how a group of men share a deep and genuine concern for each other. We loved Oscar, and he loved us. That is what a team does, that is what a family does. You will be missed, Oscar”

R.I.P. Oscar Taveras