100 wins equals a milestone reached for Gregory

basketballHigh school coaches always have goals or milestone they want to achieve before they retire. Pattonville’s girls’ basketball coach Craig Gregory did just that. Gregory recently won his 100th game as a head coach in a win against Lafayette High School on Jan. 8.

“I didn’t want to fall short,” Gregory said. “You always want to take the what-ifs game out of your thoughts.”

Gregory has been coaching for 31 years; spending time coaching both the boys and girls basketball team at Pattonville. Winning his 100th game as the girls’ basketball head coach gave him a sense of accomplishment.

“It feels good to know that we helped him get his 100th win,” said junior forward Jada Alexander. “It shows that he is a great coach and works hard for us to get wins.”

Junior shooting guard Sarah Cradick said it feels awesome to be a part of a big milstone for Gregory.

“He seemed humble. [For him] it wasn’t his 100th win, it was just another win.”

Junior point guard Tamera Shelton described Gregory to be excited and he couldn’t stop smiling.

“It was the longest I had ever seen him smile. It made me feel great,” Shelton said. “This milestone shows how his coaching abilities were effective and how great of a coach he is to win 100 games.”

Some players have had older sisters contribute to the total number of wins for Gregory.

“It is truly an awesome feeling,” Cassie Callahan said. “He’s been such an awesome coach and person. The fact that not only me but my two older sisters could contribute to his wins is pretty cool.”

His players recognize his ability to teach the sport to them.

“As a coach, 100 wins shows a lot about how well he can teach the game loves,” Cradick said.

After this season, Gregory plans to retire from coaching and retire from Pattonville.

“I have driven at least 52 miles a day one way for 31 years and I have missed time with my family. I want to be with them and my grandchildren.”

His players felt the accomplishment as much as he did.

“It feels great to help Gregory accomplish his goal before he retires,” Shelton said. “I knew he really wanted this and we put a lot of effort to help accomplish his goal.”

This milestone shows how great of a coach Gregory has been according to Callahan.

“It’s just another reminder of that,” she said. “The fact that this was one of the reasons he came b
ack another year, shows how much it meant to him.”

To future coaches of the girls’ basketball program, Gregory wants them to know, being a coach is not easy, but you have to work.

“The harder you work, the luckier you get.”

Gregory wants to go out and watch his former players play and thank them for what they have done for him.

“All the players who have played for me all have a place in my heart and have made me the coach I am. I thank them all.”