Club of the week: Deutschklub (German Club)

As the school has expanded its amount of clubs in the recent years, each group has developed and brought in student interest through their unique activities. The German club, which is fairly new at PHS, meets during contact time on Thursdays and has become fairly popular for many students in German classes.

“The club started in 2006,” said German teacher and club adviser Stephanie Frerker. “Students wanted a place where they could meet other kids, who were also interested in German.”

The German Club intends to help students build their cultural knowledge of Germany. Students learn more about Germany traditions with the many activites they partake in.

“We have many fun German activities,” explained Frerker. “We do food tastings and have presentations about German holidays. In addition, we listen to German music and watch German videos.”

According to Frerker, the food tastings are the most popular activities. Such events with the food tastings include the Oktober Fest lunch, a Christmas cookie party, and the Mai Fest Lunch. Along with this students h

ave an opportunity to bake German items and bring them into class.

“It’s awesome that we get to try a lot of food in German club,” said junior club member Camille Buckley.

The students enrolled in German classes are informed of the club’s meetings and events. However, the club welcomes all students and promotes interest through communicating their meetings on the daily announcements.

“I love it,” said sophomore Angela Lindner about the club. “It’s just random fun in which you get to talk to people and eat German food.”

The German Club focuses on learning the traditions and customs that are important to life in Germany.