Opening night becomes a success

The nationally ranked Varsity Drill Team showcased their dances on opening night of their annual Variety Show on March 15.

The Variety Show is VDT’s invitation to the community to watch performances the team has had through the past year.

“I thought tonight went well. Thursday night is usually our trial night,” Rachel Lindsay said. “It’s mostly family that comes to watch us and we all know that no matter how the show goes, they’ll still love and support us. I know a lot of people will be showing up on Saturday because that’s when we’ll be doing one of our last performances so I look forward to seeing the audience get bigger and bigger.”

The audience filled up more than half of the auditorium Thursday evening.

Before, during, and after performances, voices from the crowd cheered their accolades to VDT for all of their success this year.

“I’ve watched it a few times but I always enjoy seeing them onstage,” lights manager Brigitta Davis said.

The Variety Show has shown up on Pattonville’s calendar for years. The girls look forward to surprising the audience by bringing new moves to the stage.

“We have a really strong group of girls who have worked hard since last school year to put the show on. It’s nice to just show everyone what we have been working on and it’s so much fun because we get to show everyone how we’ve grown,” Lindsay said.