VDT seniors take on their last state competition

The Varsity Drill Team poses with their trophies for finishing in 8th place and 16th place in hip hop and pom, respectively, at Nationals on Sunday, Jan. 31. (Submitted photo)

The Varsity Drill Team competed in front of the nation earlier this month. Now, they will be performing in front of the state.

“I’m looking forward to leaving my heart out on the floor because this is the last time I get to compete with VDT,” senior Sam Yancey said.

The Varsity Drill Team will be on its way to Kansas City to compete at the state championships on Saturday, Feb. 18. The team competes at state every year and last year got 2nd place in hip-hop and 1st place in pom.

Yancey and Natalie Siegel aren’t letting the nerves get the best of them; they’re just ready to perform.

“I’m not nervous, I’m anxious,” Yancey said. “We have a lot of competition so I’m excited to fight our hearts out.”

Earlier this month, the Drill Team competed at Nationals in Orlando, Florida. The team placed 8th in hip-hop and 16th in pom. Siegel said the team exceeded their goal for Nationals this year, so whatever happens at state won’t take away from what they’ve already accomplished.

“This is my last Drill Team competition ever, so by this point I’ve learned to just have fun,” Siegel said. “The results are completely out of our hands so I have nothing else to worry about.”

Yancey said they treat State as their last competition.

“We try to make it just as fun and put no pressure on the outcome, but of course we prepare and work hard and are ready to compete.”

As a senior, Yancey’s mind is to leave it all out on the floor with no regrets.

“I have nothing to hold back. There’s no what-ifs or things that make me nervous or worry,” Yancey said. “It’s just simply fun and we’re just dancing because we love to.”

Siegel, who is also a senior, said the feeling is bittersweet.

“I’m really proud of this team and I think state will be a great representation of the past four years as a drill team member,” Siegel said. “I’ll probably cry, but I always do.”