Journalism students selected for Quill and Scroll Honor Society

Brittany Bell

Newspaper students interview KSDK sports reporter Frank Cusumano during his live broadcast from the homecoming game after Pattonville won an online vote to be featured as the Game of the Week.

Journalists at Pattonville High School were selected for the Quill and Scroll International Honor Society by journalism adviser Mr. Brian Heyman.

This year’s number of new inductees represents both the journalistic talents and the academic commitment of the students.

All of the students nominated for the honor society must maintain a 3.0 grade point average or be in the top-third of their class in academic standing. In addition, each student must have done superior work in some phase of journalism or school publications work, receive a recommendation from the supervisor or by the committee governing publications and be at least a second semester sophomore.

“I am lucky to work with an outstanding group of students on the newspaper and yearbook staffs,” Heyman said. “The commitment to their work and achievement has been excellent.”

He said he looks for more than just grades when selecting students to be a part of Quill and Scroll.

“I look to select students who have journalistic skills that have been beneficial to the programs here at Pattonville High School,” Heyman said. “Their work has been recognized as being superior, and by wearing an honor cord at graduation, now they can be individually recognized for their hard work.”

Senior Jordan Colquitt is an editor for the student-run newspaper and is a new member of Quill and Scroll.

“I always wanted an honor cord for journalism to wear when I graduate and I think it will be cool to be unique and wear it because not a lot of people will have it.”

Membership is for the life of the student so not only seniors are joining the honor society. Junior Ross Reynolds was also selected and hopes it will help him with his future goals.

“I want recognition for my hard work in journalism and it looks good on college applications.”

Students that are selected for the Quill and Scroll National Honors Society will be recognized at graduation on May 26 by wearing a blue and gold honor cord.

About the Writer
Brittany Bell, Editor-in-chief

Brittany Bell is the editor-in-chief of the Pirate Press and is a captain of the Varsity Drill Team.