Meet New Teacher: Ms. Amanda Corrado

Ms. Amanda Corrado works on her computer at her desk during a presentation in her classroom.

Ms. Amanda Corrado is the new science teacher at Pattonville High School and teaches four sections of Biology 1 and one class of Concepts of Biological Systems.

“I actually didn’t start out as a biology major in college,” Corrado said. “I had originally wanted to do Spanish as a major, but they didn’t offer enough classes at the college I went to, so I ended up falling into biology.”

Corrado loves the ecology and genetics side of biology.

“When I got degree in biology, I thought about what else I enjoy,” she said. “I used to do a lot of tutoring at a community youth center in Illinois so I kind of paired together the fact that I really like biology and the youth.”

So she decided to be a teacher.

As a teacher, Corrado said she is upbeat, and she doesn’t like students to do all notes in the classroom, unlike some teachers. She also likes to compare everyday life events with biology.

“I think you gain a sense of pride working with students,” she said. “You start off with a blank space for students and then you start to see them grow.”

Being new is scary, but she is working hard to succeed.

“If I had to sum it up, the scariest thing is getting it right.”