Students Got Talent!

Sophomore Rebecca Nelson is currently enrolled in Digital Design and has taken a total of four art classes at Pattonville High School including Art Fundamentals, Ceramics, Sculpture and Digital Design.

“I like sculpture more than digital design because it’s hands-on,” Nelson said and then added how she recommends taking art classes because of the joy she has had in them.

It would make sense to take so many art classes because of a strong interest in it, but Nelson just does it for fun.

“Art is fun and it’s a very independent class,” Nelson explained. She doesn’t plan on doing it as a primary job or hobby though except for one exception.

“Except if I am not smart enough to do anything else, but I am a genius,” she said.

Art to Nelson is like a back-up plan or a hobby; she loves it, but it’s just not anything for her life choice.

She has completed numerous amount of projects. However, in Digital Design it’s a different kind of art. One reconstructs a picture to make it unique and their own. In this class she has turned herself into an alien, made a bumper sticker, and a picture for a Pasta House contest.

The entry assignment for the contest was to take a regular picture and alter it the way the student wanted while adding in the requirement of spaghetti. For Nelson’s Pasta House contest entry, she took a normal picture of people seeming to just be sitting at tables and talking. Then she tweaked many things in the artwork to make it her own. She pointed out the addition of smoke and changing the red dress of the woman, the different hats and the glass cup she had changed too. Nelson thought the final result looks great and voiced how she felt confident in her work.

Nelson is a very creative and capable artist when she applies the skills she learns in art class to the tasks needed. She loves doing it and enjoys the classes and she has got some real talent to showcase.