Drill team has less than 2 weeks before leaving for National Competition in Orlando, Florida

Katie Basta

Drill team performed at Lindbergh to qualify for the National Competition

The Varsity Drill Team performs at Lindbergh during a competition in order to qualify for the National Dance Team Championships.

The countdown is on for Pattonville’s Varsity Drill Team. The team leaves in 11 days to compete at the 2017 UDA National Dance Team Championships in Orlando, Florida.

While there is some fun to be had at Disney World, the girls are working hard in order to be prepared to compete.

Coach Katie Funderburk expressed that the team has been preparing in numerous ways to be in the best condition for Nationals.

“This year has been a little different because we required workouts over winter break that helped maintain our stamina,” she said. “We’re also performing at a competition the week before we leave in preparation. We’ve been taking more opportunities to perform for audiences to get out any kinks we might still have.”

She is feeling confident in her team’s preparation.

“This team has an enormous amount of potential and the ability to do really well,” Funderburk said. “The only thing that could stop them is going to be themselves not committing fully to each other and to working hard and pushing through all the adversity that comes with competing at a national level.”

Along with Funderburk, team captain Erin Bailey is excited to compete and is ready to see her team’s hard work pay off.

“I think we still have work to do but we’re in a good position for only having a week and a half left,” Bailey said.

Fans can wish the Varsity Drill Team luck at their final performance before leaving for Florida during halftime at the boys’ varsity basketball game on Friday, Jan. 27.