Snow days allow students to have fun on day off

Excessive ice caused the second snow day of the year on Jan. 13, 2017. (photo by Maria Madden)

With two snow days already in the books for the Pattonville School District, students are wondering if there will be another.

For some freshmen, snow days mean an awaited break from school and extra sleep, but for others, it’s a long day filled with boredom.

Schools were closed on Jan. 5 due to road conditions and on Jan. 13 due to the forecasted ice storm.

Freshman Harry Sauer said the actual weather determines what he will do on a day off.

“If it’s a ‘snow day,’ then I will just stay indoors, catch up on work, talk to my friends, watch TV, and play some video games,” Sauer said. “If it’s an actual snow day, then I’ll probably go sledding.”

Freshman Elise Bernthal get together with friends and they hold a friendly competition.

“On snow days, the kids in my neighborhood will go to the woods and sled and we’ll all compete for shoveling snow,” Bernthal said, “and at the end, we make hot cocoa and watch movies.”

Freshman Marissa Kelby said she likes to watch movies and drink hot cocoa, which is a similar plan to freshman Mandy Galli.

“Honestly, I just watch YouTube and Netflix, talk to friends, and get some extra sleep,” Galli said.

There is currently no snow forecasted for the area, but with the ever-changing St. Louis weather, it might not hurt to watch the news in the morning just in case Pattonville shows up in the school closings at the bottom of your screen.