NHS, Chamber Choir work together to host brunch for 55+ Club

Chamber Choir sings at the NHS Valentine's Day Brunch
Chamber Choir sings at the NHS Valentine’s Day Brunch

NHS members held their annual Valentine’s Day brunch on Saturday, Feb. 4, for community members who are a part of the Pattonville 55+ Club. NHS students brought in donations of donuts and bagels for attendees to eat.

“We’ve been doing this since before I was a part of NHS, so over 10 years now,” NHS sponsor Mr. Ryan Brueckmann said. “It’s our big service project for the year for community members and members of the 55+ Club to come up and see the school and have a nice brunch.”

During the brunch, Ms. Melynda Lamb and the Chamber Choir sang festive songs as entertainment. They have sung at the brunch for more than 10 years.

“The first year I taught at Pattonville, we were asked to do the brunch and the choir had done it previous to that,” Lamb said. “I just continued doing it because I thought that’s what I was supposed to do.”

The choir has sung to the 55+ Club before at the St. Ann Community Center and many members also come to the Dinner Theaters held before the musical. Lamb believes that performing for the senior adults of the community is a wonderful opportunity for her students to create new relationships.

“I have really enjoyed developing it into something I feel is a meaningful opportunity for the students and the members of the 55+ Club,” Lamb said. “We go and perform in December at the St. Ann Community Center and so we get a lot of the same people that come to this and the musical. It gives us a great opportunity to promote the musical as well. Pattonville is the only community that has involvement with the senior adults coming to see the musicals and the plays and that is such a special and important thing for the students and for the senior adults in the community to build those mutual relationships.”