Girls soccer and boys volleyball prepare for spring tryouts with new coaches

Sarah Ponder

Girls soccer wears Peyton's Pals T-shirts before a fundraising game during the 2016 season. (file photo)

Girls soccer wears Peyton’s Pals T-shirts before a fundraising game for Fox G1 during the 2016 season. (file photo)

With spring sports practices beginning next Monday, Feb.  27, many players have been preparing for the first day of tryouts. Girls soccer has had multiple workouts and kick-arounds to help the girls prepare for the upcoming season.

“We would get together twice a week,” new head coach Mr. Jason Sellers said. “We would have kick-arounds on Thursdays usually having about 20 to 25 girls show up, and on Mondays we would do the fitness routines. Coach Tomi Benney was in charge of those workouts.”

Sellers is the new girls varsity coach, he previously coached girls varsity soccer for Hazelwood West High School. He is excited to start a new season with a new team.

“I’ve been really lucky with how welcoming everyone has been from staff and the administration to the girls,” Sellers said. “Any interaction I’ve had with any of the girls so far has been positive so that’s made everything a smooth transition so far. I’m excited to get going because I haven’t coached since last girls season. I’m anxious, but excited.”

Varsity boys at the district tournament before a game.

The varsity boys’ volleyball team huddles together before a 2016 district tournament game. (file photo)

Boys volleyball has also been having open gyms during the week and senior Jacob Reese is excited for his senior season to begin.

“We’ve been getting in the gyms and we’ve been putting in some hard work,” Reese said. “We’ve all been playing club for the past three months and can’t wait what the season holds for us.”

Coach Kyle Walsh was the new girls varsity coach last semester and he is now also the boys varsity coach. Reese believes that having a new coach will be a good change for the team.

“I think that Walsh is going to bring some new ideas to Pattonville volleyball,” Reese said. “I think it’s going to be a good change of pace and I’m excited. Especially with it being my senior year I think having Walsh’s new ideas could help us become a contender for state. I’m ready, I hope the rest of my teammates are also.”