Golf team uses time during Spring Break to hit the course

Caleb Gardner

View of the 9th hole at The Quarry at Crystal Springs, home course for the boys golf team.

Swinging into their season, the boys’ golf team members took advantage of the unusually warm March weather and held practices over Spring Break. While practice was optional, those who chose to participate were driven to prepare for the first varsity match of the season scheduled for Monday March 26, against Parkway North.

“Over the break, we were able to get the team together and really dig into improving our swings for the upcoming season,” senior Sam Stanek said. “I think the team is looking better every day and hopefully that translates into our first match.”

Having extra time to practice helps the golfers get back into a comfortable rhythm after not playing over the fall and winter seasons. It can also put the golfers ahead of other teams, especially when they play outside of regular practices.

Team member Shawn Hulahan said being able to get on the course often is important in the early season.

“Trying to get the team some time on the course can help us get competitive, especially since we have to share the course with the paying public,” Hulahan said. “We really have to take advantage of the nicer days to get in a good practice, especially when the spring weather can turn almost instantly.”

As the golfers move into the season, wet courses and rain forecasts threatens their matches, but if conditions are playable, the games will continue.