Boys’ volleyball takes on districts after phenomenal regular season

Boys’ varsity volleyball has become the highlight of Pattonville sports this spring season with a 21-5-1 record. They have broken multiple school records, are co-conference champions for the first time since 2004, and have many players ranked on stlhighschoolsports.com. Junior Auston Bonte is currently ranked No. 1 in kill average leaders, broke Pattonville’s school record for kills in a single game and most kills in a single season currently having 273 kills (past record was 217). The boys right now are preparing for the district tournament.

“We are treating districts similar the way we’ve treated other big games recently,” head coach Kyle Walsh said. “We take whatever info we have on our opponent, come up with a game plan, and structure practices solely around that plan. It’s worked recently so we decided to not switch the formula.”

Sophomore setter Cole Cwiklowski has also broken two Pattonville records in his first year on varsity having 36 assists in a single game and having 570+ assists (past record was 463). With this being Walsh’s first season for the boys, he is very impressed with the difference between last years and this years team.

The varsity team placed first in the silver division in the Parkway Central's Varsity Tournament.

The varsity team placed first in the silver division in the Parkway Central’s Varsity Tournament.

“The leadership, unity, and the depth of this group has made the biggest difference in my opinion,” Walsh said. “We have two terrific captains in Jacob Reese and Auston Bonte and the job these men do in rallying the team should not go unnoticed. Everyone on the team has a role and they buy into it. Our talent pool is also much deeper than it has been in the past. We have 3 or 4 varsity caliber players at every position on the court. That doesn’t happen too often.”

Other records broken this season include: Mike Aguirre with 24 digs in a single game, Kevin Bowers adding on to his career blocks record, and the team wins record with 20 wins so far (past record was 17). Walsh believes that his team is ready for districts and possibly the state tournament, but also believes anything can happen.

“The work ethic these gentlemen have displayed might be what makes me proudest of them,” Walsh said. “No matter the amount of success we’ve had, they show up to practice ready to work hard.  It’s hard not to think that all this will translate into success at districts but volleyball is an odd sport. You never know what can happen.”

Pattonville will play May 17 against Lindbergh in the 2nd round of the Class 4 District 3 boys volleyball tournament. All games will be played at Vianney High School.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 5.31.39 PM