Meet new Academic Mentor: Ms. Amy Tran

August 23, 2017

Librarian last year. Academic mentor this year. Cheer coach all year long.

Ms. Amy Tran graduated from Pattonville and then went to Maryville University. After graduating from Maryville, she came back to the high school to become a librarian. 

“Pattonville loves their alumni,” she said. “So I always felt like this is home. It’s comfortable here!”

One year later, she is making the transition to become an academic mentor.

Teaching and being an academic mentor are two different things. Academic mentors are supposed to help students with whatever they are struggling with.

“My goal is to help students who are struggling in high school, and to hopefully motivate them to get where they need to go.”

Transitioning to a different role at Pattonville is difficult for her.

“I was kinda nervous because you never know how kids are going to transition to one teacher that they had last year to the next, but I was also excited because I haven’t had my own students yet until now,” she said. “But I do miss my library family.”

Helping students out and coaching two cheer teams all year round makes it seem like there would be no free time but Tran makes it look easy though.

“It’s busy during the fall and winter season, but I don’t think it’s anything I can’t handle.”