Pattonville MVP ceremony to honor students

In one week, Pattonville is hosting a huge event that recognizes students for individual achievements, effort, and success. For the 11th consecutive year, Pattonville MVPs (Most Valuable Pirate) will be given and announced.

“It is a special recognition for the students,” explained MVPs administrator Beth Moritz. “There are over 1,700 students in the school, and less than ten percent of students are chosen by teachers.”

Each student nominated for a MVP was given an invitation during his or her first hour this past Tuesday. Teachers have the option to pick one student for an MVP based off success and connections that the specific student has built with a teacher.

“It’s incredibly hard for teachers to pick an MVP,” said Moritz. “We all want to honor one student, but we also have more than one student we want to honor.”

According to Moritz, there are many reasons why teachers submit a specific student for the MVP honor. Most teachers base it off of good grades, improvement in academics, or for a boost to help the student overcome obstacles.

“This ceremony is meant to be a recognition for the students, in which the teachers say that we appreciate what they have accomplished,” said Moritz.

Teachers use a large range of thought to choose their specific MVP. Not all teachers submit an MVP, but the ones who do appreciate the fact of honoring a specific student.

“It means a lot to me to get an invitation,” explained Senior Elise Amo. “I feel really special because getting the recognition by a teacher is a huge honor.”

The nominated students will meet in the auditorium to receive their MVP medal from their teacher after the school on Thursday, April 19. Teachers write a paragraph about how they have appreciated the student through the school year.

Parents are encouraged to come and see their student receive the honor, and meet the teacher who gave their child the MVP after the ceremony.

Note: Pattonville technology specialist, Jamie Richter, has helped out immensely for the MVPs to be possible. Mr. Richter helps out with the database to keep track of the MVPs and will create the program for this upcoming event.