Opinion: Should Pattonville get a men’s lacrosse team?

Girls' lacrosse is a spring sport offered to girls in high school. The spring season started on Monday, Feb. 26. (file photo)

Lexi Taylor, Reporter

Girls’ lacrosse is in its 4th year of being a sport at Pattonville. The sport is played in the spring season. (file photo)

With so many sports and activities offered to students at Pattonville, it might be time to add one more to the list.

To many, high school men’s lacrosse is like a cool stunt on TV. It is to be looked at and admired, but never ever to be done by yourself.

Men’s lacrosse has a lot of similarities to football, but head coach Steve Smith has no interest in being a part of the new sport.

“We definitely shouldn’t have men’s lacrosse at Pattonville,” Smith said. “So to answer your question: No, I would definitely not coach the team if it were to come.”

The question, however, isn’t if it’s coming, but when.

One of the oldest sports of mankind, lacrosse, is spreading across St. Louis like wildfire. Many area schools, including Pattonville, already have their very own women’s lacrosse teams. The Pattonville girl’s program is now entering its 4th year as a varsity team.

It’s definitely getting more and more popular. Girls on the lacrosse team would love to see a men’s program come into play at the school and I even tried to get a petition going last year.

After questioning some of the boys on campus, two out of three said they definitely would join or try out for a spring men’s team.

While many people think men’s lacrosse is a dangerous sport, it actually has less annual concussions than football and soccer. Each player is equipped with a helmet, shoulder pads, and gloves to lessen the chances of any serious injuries.

However, if Pattonville were to bring a men’s lacrosse program to Pattonville, Title IX requires that for every male sport there must also be a female sport, so another sport would be needed as well.

So what do you guys think? The possibilities are endless, and I say maybe it’s time we all start thinking about the future.