Biomedical program holds White Coat Ceremony to honor students

Students receive a T-shirt, their white coats, and a laboratory notebook as they move up in the program.

September 8, 2017

Students that received a white coat during the High School Biomedical White Coat Ceremony pose for a picture after the event on the steps under the bridge.

While giving students in STEM-based programs a chance to excel in their studies, PLTW honored its students in a Biomedical White Coat Ceremony celebrating the students and their accomplishments in the program at the high school on Sept. 7.

Second year students received a T-shirt to represent their dedication to their career, third year students received their white coats, and fourth year students got their own laboratory notebook.

Tyra Riley (12) was one of the third year students who was able to receive her white lab coat for having been committed to the program.

“This program has me sold on wanting to be in the medical field,” Riley said, who has been in the Biomed program for three years, and is now in the Medical Interventions class taught by Ms. Jamie Jobe.

Riley explained, “Being in this class, I’ve learned the basics of the human body, different antibiotics, drugs, and got to study life-threatening diseases”

Students can enter the Biomed program as early as their freshman year beginning with Principles of Biomed and can remain in the Biomed program all four years of their high school career.

“This program was a challenge for me because the work is different from work in regular science classes,” Riley said. “My favorite part was serial dilution labs.”

Students work all year on curriculum-based labs, projects, case studies, and other challenging tasks.

“Over the course of two years, I was able to figure out exactly which field I wanted to enter dealing with medicine,” Riley said. “After high school, I plan to be an anesthesiologist and I can’t wait to be able to give back and help others.”