Where is the Pattonville school spirit?

Pattonille students cheer on the varsity football team in the green out theme.

Spirit is something all high schools should have, yet Pattonville does not have enough at its games.

The Pattonville varsity football game was the KSDK Bommarito Prep Zone Game of the Week when the Pirates took on the reigning state champions, the Kirkwood Pioneers, in Week 4. The game was streamed on KSDK.com which is a good thing because not many students were in the stands watching it live.

They missed a great game because the Pirates (2-2) beat the previously undefeated Pioneers (3-1), 41-36.

What was most disappointing about last Friday’s game was the Pattonville student section in the stands. The student section was practically vacant, with a few students dressed in the Green Out theme of the night.

Being that it was a highly anticipated game, many local media outlets were out at the game covering the game, yet not many students were there rallying the Pirates on to victory.

Senior Katie Basta is disappointed in the student turnout so far this season.

“It makes me upset seeing the crowd shrink every year,” Basta said. “I used to love coming to the games to see all my friends and cheer on our team but now it’s kind of quiet in the stands.”

Cheerleader junior Lexi Blount is disappointed in the Pattonville Green Army.

“The spirit from the student section could be a lot better, there isn’t much interaction,” Blount said. “There was nobody there last week, and that was pretty sad.”

She’s not jealous of other school’s student systems but thinks Pattonville could be a lot more like other school’s student sections.

“Eureka’s student section is very interactive and if they have a theme for the game, everyone is dressed up and loud and cheering their team on.”

Blount likes some traditions she’s seen at other schools when she is cheering.

“When they score a touchdown, someone in their student sections runs down the stands with a flag and everyone is cheering and going crazy,” she said. “It’s showing a lot of team spirit.”

Many students like senior Brittany Washington have voiced their frustration with the student section.

“Honestly, I was disappointed. People showed up but it seemed as if they left their school spirit at home,” she said. “I feel like we could’ve done so much better especially since they were an undefeated team.”