Filed under News, Pirate Press

‘Rally for Ryleigh’ raises money to sponsor Make-a-Wish

Nadia Maddex talks to students about the project for Ryleigh during the pep rally on Monday.

Ryleigh is a 5-year-old who was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, discovered after she complained of a severe headache last summer.

Her brain tumor hasn’t stopped her from being an ordinary girl. She likes to watch the Falcons and the Patriots, loves the TV show Doc McStuffins, and has a dream to go to Disney World.

This year, Student Council partnered with Make-A-Wish, a foundation that grants children with chronic illnesses, like cancer or brain tumors, wishes they want. Any child can wish for anything, and Ryleigh’s wish happens to be to go to Disney World. She loves Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and is very excited she can meet them on her trip.

To introduce students to Ryleigh, Nadia Maddex and the Pirate Code created a video for students to watch in Homeroom.

Maddex explains how everyone could help out around the school, as well as helping Ryleigh get to Disney.

“Working alongside Pattonville United and the Pirate Code, we plan on using the leadership skills being respectful, responsible, and involved to make sure that we can get Ryleigh to Disney,” she said. “All the money that gets donated will not only help your class, but it will help get Ryleigh to Disney.”

To raise money for her trip, STUCO organized the annual penny wars between the different grades to benefit this special cause. During spirit week, students can drop pennies into their baskets at lunch for positive points, and bills and silver coins which are considered negative points, into other grades’ baskets.

Since the school is granting her a full wish, Pattonville hopes to raise $5,000, and possibly more, by March. Other fundraisers are scheduled to be held including Dodgeball, Miracle Minute, and more in order to raise the full amount.

During the Pirate Code lesson on Oct. 5, students were encouraged to participate in events for Ryleigh. They were challenged to complete small acts of kindness like holding the door for a stranger, offering a friend a ride home, and giving someone a high five. After students completed their act of kindness, they were instructed to post their random act of kindness slip to the Pirate Code bulletin board outside of the guidance office from the STUCO Store.

To start fundraising, students can help out by donating money into the penny wars baskets during all lunch sessions through the rest of homecoming week.

1 Comment

One Response to “‘Rally for Ryleigh’ raises money to sponsor Make-a-Wish”

1. Rach on December 25th, 2017 7:09 pm

She’s in my school

[Reply]

• ‘Rally for Ryleigh’ raises money to sponsor Make-a-Wish

News

Pattonville ranked No. 10 on St. Louis Post-Dispatch Top Workplaces 2018 list

SLIDESHOW Class of 2018 graduates from Pattonville High School

Six staff members at the high school are preparing for the last school day of their career

MULTIMEDIA Students surprise Ms. Nichols for retirement

News

Renaissance Club passes out Scholar Athlete T-shirts for spring sports season

Students in Capstone class help set up prom ticket sales

Orchestra’s last concert of the year

High school English teacher Ms. Edna Nichols will retire at the end of the year

Seniors write messages for future students

VIDEO Top 10 seniors of Class of 2018 announced at Spring Assembly