Lamb directs the high school choir

December 6, 2017

The choir will be joined by the orchestra for a joint concert on Dec. 7 in the Pattonville auditorium.

High school choir director Ms. Melynda Lamb prides herself on being able to take students who can’t match pitch or read music and teaching them to do all of those things when they are enrolled in one of her classes.

“Learning the notes to the songs is very important, but it’s also important that we learn how to be performers and how to be expressive,” Lamb said. “Even if we’re not singing things correctly, it’s important that we can reach down in our hearts and relate to our audience. That’s the most important thing.”

For students who want to join choir, Lamb said they don’t have to have any musical background.

“You don’t have to have a certain amount of talent or ability or knowledge to join choir,” she said. “There are choir options for every level.”

Students love Ms. Lamb because she never gives up on them.

Sophomore I’asia Griffin said when she came to the high school, she couldn’t sightread at all.

“After a short year with Ms. Lamb, I’m reading at a Level 3.”

Sophomore Josie Medley also said choir is unlike any other course she is taking during the day.

“Choir isn’t just a class,” she said. “You form friendships with people that you probably wouldn’t have ever talked to otherwise.”

The choirs perform on Dec. 7 in the joint concert with the high school orchestra. The performance begins at 7 p.m.