May 21st to be last day of 2011-2012 school year: good or bad?

This year, the last day of school is May 21; May 16th for current seniors. The last day of school may seem a lot earlier than last year’s, because it is!

Seven snow days last school year caused students to get out on June 1. This year, with zero snow days used, students will be released almost two weeks earlier than last year. But the question remains; is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

Sure, all students and teachers love getting a head start on their summer, but that has its consequences.

In past years, students who take an EOC and score proficient on it become exempt from the final in that class. With the last day of school so early this year, students will not receive their EOC scores in time to determine if they must take the final or not. What student would want to take one more final than they have to?

For seniors, getting out of school earlier than underclassmen has always been a privilege. This year, seniors only get out four days earlier than underclassmen. With such a small gap between release dates, is it even considered a privilege for seniors to get out earlier?

So even though students will get a head start on their summer, do the positives of getting out early outweigh the negatives?