Road to State: Preview of the Class 5 football championship

Brooke Jenkins, Staff writer

The teams have played a full schedule with the final game of the season determining which school wins the Class 5 state championship.

Pattonville will be competing in the Class 5 state championship game against Staley on Saturday, Nov. 25, at Mizzou.

In the final game of the season, this will be Pattonville’s hardest opponent yet with the Falcons coming into the game with a perfect record of 13-0 and ranked No. 1 in the Missouri Media Class 5 poll. Pattonville (9-3) is ranked No. 5.

Yet, what is most interesting about this game is the quarterback match-up.

Let’s take a look at the statistical breakdown between Pattonville and Staley’s signal callers.

A 4-year starter, Kaleb Eleby has completed 153 out of 244 passing attempts and has thrown for 2,421 yards, collected 22 touchdowns and has been intercepted six times this season.

On the other side of the field, quarterback John Raybourn has been racking up yards in many different ways. He has throw for 3,002 yards by completing 186 out of 281 passing attempts, connected for 41 touchdowns and has only been intercepted twice. On the ground, he’s rushed for 1,021 yards and has scored 12 touchdowns.

Other key players for Pattonville include running back Sam Sanderson who has rushed for 684 yards and nine touchdowns, David Ellison Jr. who has collected 945 yards and 15 touchdowns, and Charles Shelton IV who has totaled 34 receptions for 672 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Tight end Dakari Streeter has seven receptions and scored four touchdowns, none bigger than the game-winning score against Vianney in the quarterfinal game. 

Defensive back Kameron Perkins is confident in Pattonville’s defense stopping Raybourn and the Falcons offense.

“We just really all need to do our jobs and if we stop their quarterback and we all do our jobs, we will win.”

Perkins has 31 total tackles on the season and will be a key factor on the Pirates defense.

Donovan Prott leads the defense with 141 tackles, Ellison has stopped 109 players while catching 10 interceptions, and Brock Beins is one tackle short of 100. Isaiah Wilkes has 74 tackles and has gotten to the quarterback several times collecting eight sacks on the season.

Perkins said he is motivated to get the job done on Saturday.

“I have a high level of confidence and the right mindset going into the game,” he said. “I just need to focus and do my job.”

The game at Faurot Field in Columbia will be audio streamed live on Facebook. Like PattonvilleTODAY to hear the Pirates Sports Net broadcasters call the game. It will also be shown live on MSHSAA.TV with a $9.95 monthly subscription to the NFHS network.