Seniors in College Credit English share why they like to read

Students read stories from their English class

Seniors in Ms. Edna Nichols’ College Credit English class share why they enjoy reading during their senior year.

This semester, the students are reading a series of 17 short stories and have to prepare responses. By participating in Socratic seminars, the students are able to discuss the important themes and analyze the text that they read.

These are their responses after being asked: “Why do you like to read?”

Bria Griffith: “I just started to like reading again in senior year. We are reading short stories that have a deeper meaning. We read a short story called The Lesson and it has been my favorite so far.”

Kelsey Van Hook: “I like to read these stories because you gain more knowledge as opposed to reading out of an ordinary text book in other classes.”

Erin Bailey: “The stories we are reading now go more in depth. They teach moral lessons and I think that’s crucial for your senior year before you go into the real world.”

Brittany Bell: “I like reading because I read things that I would not have read on my own such as Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been by Joyce Oates.”

Evan Clark: “After reading in this class, I feel that it’s good to view things through other people’s perspectives because you get to better understand how people feel.”

Jashayla Pettigrew: “I enjoy reading in English because I get to see how people around me view the world.”

Chloe Neal: “I like the variety of stories that we get a chance to read; it’s never the same in this class.”

Yohannes Mulat: “I like reading in English class because it exposes me to different realities or messages that I can learn from and develop my own ideas about”

Andrew Holder: “These stories are very interesting. Some of them leave you feeling angry with the endings.”

Tressa Jones: “I like to read in this class because it broadens my horizons.”

Alexandria Taylor: “I like reading in our class because the best part is the varied discussions we have afterward in Socratics.”