School was in session for Pattonville on Jan. 16

The line of cars dropping off students in the morning under the bridge was backed up to the school’s entrance.

Hazelwood School District. The school closings started to scroll across the bottom of the TV. Ritenour School District. Students were refreshing their phones to read the updated list online. Francis Howell School District. But the announcement for Pattonville School District never came.

Students reported to school on Jan. 16 with a morning temperature of 0 degrees and a wind chill near -15 degrees.

With a lot of area schools closing on Tuesday, Pattonville students and teachers were expecting there to be no school for the district, but instead had to go on the day after MLK Jr. Day.

But that is more than OK with English teacher Ms. Sarah Guilfoyle.

“I’m fine with not having a snow day because I’d rather get out early in May.”

Pattonville School District has six emergency days (snow days) built into the yearly calendar, as required by state law. The ending dates of school will be rolled back if these days are not used.

Guilfoyle said she would rather go to work if the weather allows it and enjoy her day teaching than taking a day off which would have to be made up later in the school year.

She is not the only one who has the same opinion. Senior Kaycie Newberry is looking forward to finishing high school sooner than later.

“I would have not wanted a snow day because seniors could get out on May 16 and we graduate May 24.”

May 25 is the scheduled last day for students in K-11, but the Pattonville School Board will need to approve a change if no days are missed due to inclement weather. The Class of 2018’s last day of school will be based on when the school district will reach the state of Missouri’s attendance requirements.

Graduation will be held on May 24 at The Family Arena in St. Charles regardless of the number of snow days used.