Senioritis: Can the seniors survive it?

Senior Kelsey Van Hook walks to class after the 1st hour tardy bell rang at 7:23 a.m.

One of the most commonly used words by seniors in high school is the word “Senioritis.”

It is when high school seniors lose their motivation and drive to attend school and perform academically.

Senior Sydney Olishile said senioritis has already set in for her.

“Every morning I get to school right when the bell rings and sometimes afterward because I’m sleep deprived and I sleep until the very last minute before I have to leave the house.”

Some teachers have noticed the affect of senioritis on their students.

As senior Tajah Graves was asked if senioritis affects her, English teacher Ms. Sarah Guilfoyle walked past and answered “yes” for her.

“I spend most of my day in her class,” Graves said. “That’s where I hide out.”

Senior Chrystian Vaughn-Taylor has experienced an impact of senioritis academically.

“Honestly it’s horrible, I probably haven’t done my homework in two weeks.”

Since entering their final semester of high school, seniors have experienced senioritis in different ways.

“Well first of all, my motivation is slowly but surely diminishing since I know I only have four months left,” senior Jashayla Pettigrew. “At this point, being in the same routine is getting repetitive and I’m just counting down the days until graduation.”

Lexi Taylor has seen a gradual change since the affects of senioritis kicked in.

“I used to have a lot of drive and passion for school, but now it seems that all the days are just blurring together,” she said. “Each day I have less will to be here.”

Seniors will graduate from Pattonville at the St. Charles Family Arena on May 24.