REVIEW Theatre department excels with Beauty and the ‘Best’

Brooke Jenkins, Writer

Pattonville High School Pirate Players presented the musical Beauty and the Beast to audiences Feb. 15-18, but they really should have called it Beauty and the ‘Best’ because the musical was absolutely amazing.

From the choreography, music, and set construction, all the way down to the costumes, box office and lighting, everything was spot on.

The classic story that many students grew up watching on DVD tells of Belle, a young woman in a provincial town, and the Beast, who is really a young prince trapped under the spell of an enchantress. If the Beast can learn to love and be loved, the curse will end and he will be transformed into his former self. But time is running out. If the Beast does not learn his lesson soon, he and his household will be doomed for all eternity.

The chemistry between all the cast members was amazing. Senior Elleni Yeshiwas (Belle) and senior Samuel Shull (Beast) wowed the crowd with their performance. Supporting actors William Pirrie (Gaston) and Josh Royal (Lefou) supplied comical entertainment and gave personalities to the characters that felt completely natural. In addition, Jarred McCormick (Cogsworth), Christopher Tobar (Lumiere), Tamia Tyler (Mrs. Potts), Tony Washington (Chip), Haley Reynolds (Babette) and Nadia Maddex (Madame De La Grande Bouche) performed their enchanted characters with high energy.

One of the highlights of the night was the entire ensemble performing Be Our Guest before intermission. With students dressed as utensils, plates, vases, candlesticks, cupcakes, napkins, a carpet, and a salt and pepper shaker dancing and singing on stage, it brought the famous song to life and was a memorable scene.

By hearing the engagement of the audience from the cheers to the laughs, it was obvious that the crowd enjoyed the two and a half hour show.

I thoroughly enjoyed Beauty and the Beast, and if you didn’t get a chance to see the musical, you really missed out.

If I were to honestly rate this musical, I’d give it a strong A. It was definitely a must-see and I applaud the Pirate Players and Thespians for putting on this performance.

After seeing the musical, I can honestly say I can’t wait for next year’s show, and I hope it’s as good as the year presented this year.