Pecoraro announced as next superintendent

Lorelei Ryan, Editor

Photo from Pattonville School District
Dr. Tim Pecoraro

The Pattonville Board of Education on Feb. 5 voted to select Dr. Tim Pecoraro as its next superintendent, effective upon the retirement of Dr. Mike Fulton, who became Pattonville’s superintendent in 2007. The vote follows an announcement by the school board in December that Fulton would not seek an extension to his current three-year contract, which ends June 30, 2020.

Pecoraro will continue in his current role of Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction and will be mentored by Fulton until his retirement.

Since 2007, Pecoraro has served as the assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction, but his work with Pattonville goes back to 2001. He was principal of Briar Crest Elementary School, and prior to that, he was an assistant principal and a 5th grade teacher at John Weldon Elementary School in St. Charles County.

Working above the school level, he has co-chaired the Missouri School Improvement Program 6 Academic Achievement Development Team. He is also currently serving on the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Technical Advisory Committee.

Going beyond just working with the district, Pecoraro grew up in Bridgeton and attended Bridgeway, Pattonville Heights Middle School, and graduated from the high school in 1989.

He has seen the district change throughout his life, and he hopes to switch a focus on how students learn individually and adjust the system so students’ needs are met for after high school.

“I plan to grow the different ways we can customize learning to better meet the needs of our students,” he said in an email. “I want to continue to find ways to personalize those experiences.”

Pecoraro is scheduled to be mentored by Fulton over the next three years until Fulton retires, but he has learned a lot from him already.

“He’s always included me in the planning and implementation of major district projects,” he said. “The guidance he’s provided has gone a long way in preparing me to be the future superintendent.”

He will stay in his current role as assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction, but will have the chance to learn other aspects of the superintendent’s job. This includes playing a major role in developing the district’s strategic plan, as well as working closely with parents, principals, and students to “ensure we’re all working as one to achieve our goals.”

And, as students know, another aspect of the superintendent’s job is to call off school for snow days.

“I [do] look forward to the first time I get to cancel school because of snow!”