“Beauty and the Beast” quickly approaching opening night

Elleni Yeshiwas (Belle) practices her lines with Michael Pirrie (Maurice) during a rehearsal for Beauty and the Beast.

With the musical only days away, the cast and crew of “Beauty and the Beast” are diligently working to ensure that Pattonville’s production of the show will be the best musical yet.

Senior Elleni Yeshiwas, who plays the lead of Belle, and other cast members have been rehearsing to get the musical in pristine condition since early November. With rehearsal running as late as 5:30 some nights, she can sometimes be overwhelmed.

“I’m in Student Council, jazz band, choir, and Key Club, so the musical sometimes takes away from my other commitments.”

However her time commitment to the musical only furthers her enthusiasm to perform for the audience, including students in Pattonville elementary and middle schools which will be attending Wednesday’s matinee show.

“I’m most excited to hear the reactions for our shows,” she said. “Especially the reactions of the elementary and middle school kids because they are taking a field trip to see us perform.”

Yeshiwas realizes all the eyes will be on her.  Although she states she is not nervous, she still hopes nothing goes wrong.

“The hardest part about performing is staying in character even if something goes wrong,” she said. “For example, at a dress rehearsal, Gaston hit my eye with the corner of a book and my eye was throbbing, but I had to stay in character.”

Hopefully this isn’t the last time an audience watches Yeshiwas perform.

“If possible, I hope to get in theater recreationally in college,” she said. “Sophie Vik definitely motivated me to audition for this year’s musical and encouraged me through the audition process.”

Students and parents can come watch Elleni Yeshiwas as Belle in the high school auditorium Feb. 15-17 at 7 p.m. and on Feb. 18 at 2 p.m. Tickets will be available in the lobby before one hour before each show for $5 for students/children and $7 for adults.