Lady Pirates hope to keep winning as regular season wraps up

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brandon Clark, Sports Writer

The Lady Pirates beat arch rival Ritenour on Friday night with a 65-50 victory on the Huskies home court.

Sophomore guard Jaliya Smith led all scorers with 19 points, and three other Pattonville players scored in double-digits. Brooke Jenkins (14), Kelsey Mack (13) and Tyra Brown (12) were all big contributors to the win.

The Lady Pirates showed bursts of explosion driving down the lane and showed an impressive passion on the defensive end of the court.

Sophomore Jaliya Smith was explosive as she drove down the lane and varsity coach Doug McGhee had a good defensive mindset at the start of the game.

Ultimately, it was enough for the Pirates to bring home the W.

Pattonville improved to their record to 11-7 and are making up for all of those close games they’ve lost this season.

The Lady Pirates are right on the bubble as far as the Week 10 Girls Basketball Large Schools Top 10 Rankings are concerned, trailing only No. 10 Francis Howell (14-7) and Eureka (14-7).

The last three teams on Pattonville’s regular season schedule include Francis Howell North, Webster Groves, and Ladue. Webster will be the last conference game of the year for the Lady Pirates as they will face off against offensive powerhouse KK Rodriguez and her team.

The non-conference match-ups will be a test as Ladue is currently 12-5 and come in with a better record than Pattonville. The Lady Rams beat the Fox Warriors 74-27 nearly beating the team by 50 points on their home court. They also held their own with a talented MICDS team who they lost to 66-57. MICDS currently ranks No. 9 among the small schools in the St. Louis area with a record of 17-3.  The Lady Rams also beat the Francis Howell North Knights by 30 in their meeting with a final of 52-22.

These North Knights are currently struggling and this game should be an easy victory for the Lady Pirates. I have the team going 2-1 in their last three games with a loss to Webster Groves and KK Rodriguez. This is definitely going to being an exciting stretch of basketball to watch as the Lady Pirates prepare for the district tournament.