Pattonville journalism students attend #METC18 to work for eNews

Pattonville journalism students are part of the eNews Student Bureau providing updates at the METC (Midwest Education Technology Community) conference for educators, students and administrators.

The annual METC conference is the largest EdTech Conference in Missouri, and one of the largest educational technology conferences in the nation with over 2,000 attendees.

During this 2-day conference, attendees get the opportunity to attend workshops, breakout sessions, attend “playkerspaces” and talk to the 75+ exhibitors.

“METC is the largest conference for teachers and technology in Missouri so therefore, you meet people from not only Missouri, but all of the midwestern states as well,” said the director of METC Stephanie Madlinger. “I would have to say that the biggest highlight is the variety of sessions. There is something for everyone.”

Nadia Maddex takes a picture of her badge with a fellow journalism student in the back.

Pattonville students are utilizing this conference by using their social media outlets to promote the conference as well as getting the opportunity to cover a state-wide event.

Students are posting articles on PattonvilleTODAY.com, the hub for all of Pattonville’s journalism stories, and being shared on METCedplus.org as well as the METC social media outlets.

“Being someone who wants to major in journalism, I feel like being at METC educates me on a lot I need to know to thrive in that field,” said senior Jashayla Pettigrew. “In the first session I attended I learned about how to utilize my social media in order to promote myself and I am actually getting the opportunity to use what I learned and do that today at the conference.”

Senior Jashayla Pettigrew types a story about her breakout session.