Track and field is getting ready for the new season

Robert Gibson in the upstairs D-wing, talking about the upcoming track and field season.

Spring sports are about to start, and since cross country ended, students who ran have tried to figure out what activities to do to continue training.

Some students joined the Half Marathon Club, others joined winter sports.

While running continued for a few months, it is finally time for track season to begin. Practice begins on Feb. 26 at the stadium after school.   

Track and field has a large variety of events to participate in including the 100, 200, 800, and 1,600 meter races, relays, pole vault, and the long and triple jumps, which are just few of the options available.

While there are people, including some freshmen, that will be new to the sport and the team, there are some sophomores, juniors, and seniors that will be returning this season.

“I run the 1,600 meter (the mile) and my goal is to get a 4:22 by the end of this season,” said junior Robert Gibson, who also participates in the fall in cross country.

Gibson is ready for track to begin and is ready to set a new personal record for his event in the mile. He was a member of varsity track last year and plans to continue to run the mile even faster, this year.

Track is still looking for people to join, so sign up as soon as you can before time runs out. Athletes need to make sure they have a physical on file with the activities office before they try out for the team.