Spring sports are back in action

Girls' lacrosse is a spring sport offered to girls in high school. The spring season started on Monday, Feb. 26. (file photo)

Lexi Taylor, Writer

Girls’ lacrosse is a spring sport offered to girls in high school. The spring season started on Monday, Feb. 26. (file photo)

It was almost 65 degrees on Monday, Feb. 26, making a perfect day for the beginning of spring sports’ tryouts.

The sports in season include baseball, boys’ golf, girls’ lacrosse, girls’ soccer, boys’ tennis, track and field, boys’ volleyball, and co-ed water polo.

For many athletes who play just one sport, the spring season took a long time to get here. Lacrosse player Amanda James commented on the wait.

“Lacrosse is the best time of the year,” she said. “I’ve been waiting for a semester and a half for it!”

As for other athletes who play sports year round, spring’s wait was not as anticipated.

Football and basketball player Dakari Streeter said, “I am excited for the track and field season. Playing sports all year has been keeping me busy with practice every day after school until 5 o’clock. With basketball on a districts track, it may be a while until I get to track.”

A similar thing happened for Streeter and all of the football players who played winter sports as they enjoyed a run to the state championship game in the fall.

Soccer player Lauren Griffin talked about goals for her final season at Pattonville before she transitions to collegiate soccer.

“I’m excited for my final season and hope it’s a memorable one.”

Baseball players, prepared from the many open gyms they had in the offseason, are also prepared for the season.

“I think this season is going to be be better than last year,” Hayden Lazear said.

Water polo player Madelyn Hubbs also remarks her excitement for her final season.

“We have a lot of new players this year, so this season should be a fun learning one.”

Volleyball star Auston Bonte makes a remark on his team’s plans for this season: “The primary goal is to always have fun, but our end goal is to hopefully be in the state tournament.”

Check back to PattonvilleTODAY.com/schedules to find out when the Pirates play. Schedules will be updated when available.