Students in African American Literature take field trip to see Black Panther

Students enrolled in the African American Literature class at the high school took a field trip to the Galleria Cinema to see Black Panther on Friday, Feb. 23.

“Our first unit in African American Literature is called, “Where do you come from?” English teacher Ms. Edna Nichols said. “It’s about heritage and understanding your roots of where you come from.”

Black Panther is the first Marvel comic book movie to feature a black super hero and foreshadow African American culture, which Nichols thinks is an important lesson for her students.

“Although Black Panther isn’t a realistic film, it still reflects on African American heritage which I want my students to see.”

According to the Boston Review, “In Black Panther, T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman) has risen to the throne of Wakanda. We know that his father, T’Chaka, the previous king, died in a bomb attack. T’Challa worships his father for being wise and good and wants to walk in his footsteps. But a heartbreaking revelation will sorely challenge T’Challa’s idealized image of his father.”

This movie had an impact of students like Alana Williams.

“I’m not used to seeing a lot of African American women like myself play a strong and powerful role in a movie.”

Black Panther is a movie known for its uniqueness, for its black star power, and its many thoughtful portrayals of strong black women.

“Black Panther is a must-see movie because you can learn a lot just by watching it,” Williams said. “This movie not only covers racial issues and stereotypical slurs, but it defines African American heritage.”