Courageous Conversations continues to send a message

David Ellison records his “When I Listen” speech to be used in the Courageous Conversations video.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Students involved in Courageous Conversations made a documentary video to continue breaking the mold to keep students aware of the difficult situations of what took place last semester at Pattonville High School. The video will reflect on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech.

Students, teachers, and faculty members will be sharing their dream for Pattonville and telling what they learned during the Courageous Conversations meetings. The video will be aired on March 15 during Contact Time.

“It takes courage to talk about a difficult subject such as racism and it requires courage to be able to listen to others’ perspectives and being open to what someone has to say about a situation dealing with race,” high school counselor Ms. Alysia Patterson said.

Summer Davis said having courage speaks a lot about a person’s character.

“This video will hopefully change student perspectives on the way they view things and/or handle situations making them and others feel more comfortable in their skin,” Davis said.

That’s not the only purpose for this video.

“The ultimate goal for this video is to reinforce that we are on a journey and we have not arrived to our destination,” Patterson said.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. shared his dream to the world 55 years ago and that dream did have an affect on the world.

Asia Oliphant recorded a message on the video that will be shown during Contact Time.

“My dream for Pattonville is to see everyone come together and accept people as they are regardless of their race, religion, ethnicity, gender, and sexuality.”

On Thursday, students will be challenged with saying what their dream is for Pattonville.