Signing Day

On Nov 9, seniors Kristen Hanna and Mikala McGhee signed to play basketball for the colleges they will be attending Fall 2012.

Hanna decided to go to Missouri Southern State University to play while McGhee decided to sign with Missouri State University.

Hanna picked Missouri Southern in Joplin because she liked the town and “they have a good basketball program who are committed.”

McGhee based her decision on location and scholarship.

”I wanted to go play basketball on a full ride. I wanted to feel comfortable where I was at, and I wanted my parents to be able to come see me play.”

Kailey Utley, another senior varsity basketball player will sign to play soccer at a D1 school later on the year.

With three seniors signing intention to play a college sport, head coach Craig Gregory said its pretty exciting.

“You get to watch them since they were little and get to watch them grow. Its shows dedication,” Gregory said.

Now that the girls have selected their school the athletes can focus on the game.

Brian Lewis, the assistant girls basketball coach said, “It is pressure off the girls wanting to pick a school. They relax more at practice.”

Basketball isn’t the only sport have players sign with a college. Football players have been having college coaches look at them all season.

Senior Jeremiah Wilkins, who is selected co-defensive player of the year, has been talking to coaches for a while now. “I want the school to have my intended major [secondary education].” He also wants to have a strong relationship with his coach.

Training during the off-season is important for players who want to continue playing their sport in college.

Another senior who is talking to college coaches is Brandon Weaver. “I have been in the weight room ever since the season ended and I am going to do track in the spring to work on speed and agility.”