Writers Week kicks off at Pattonville with first full day of sessions

Teachers and administrators that are Pattonville graduates present during the first session of Writers Week in a session titled #Villemade.

Ms. Beth Moritz graduated from Pattonville High School and was working for another school district when she heard about an opening at PHS.

“In my interview, I was asked why I’d want to leave my current job. I answered that teaching at Pattonville would be coming home.”

Students often use #Villemade in postings on social media and for describing life at Pattonville. Moritz takes that slogan seriously.

“#Villemade means there is a lifelong community of people who I can depend on.”

She served as moderator during the first session of Writers Week on Monday titled #Villemade which featured several Pattonville graduates who have returned to work for the district including high school principal Dr. Joe Dobrinic, current Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction Dr. Tim Pecoraro who will become the next Superintendent of Pattonville School District on July 1, and several teachers.

“I loved hearing about everyone’s favorite memories and how PHS has changed,” she said.

One thing that stood out to Moritz was when English teacher Ms. Emily McDaniel was explaining how her English teacher, Ms. Amy Adam, inspired her to become a teacher.

“We all had special teachers who impacted our lives and influenced us to do for our students what they did for us,” Moritz said.

Writers Week will be held all week with different sessions held every hour of the day for the entire week. English teacher Ms. Jodi Moeller organized the event with the help of the entire English department and the high school administration.

“She has organized an incredible lineup of professional writers, poets, and musicians,” Moritz said. “However, I think the best part is hearing our students share their original work. They are so brave and so talented.”

There were two sessions for PHS student writers to present their work on Monday, and more PHS student writers and some staff members will be sharing their original writing in sessions throughout the week.

“I was definitely inspired by what I heard today,” Moritz said.

Anyone interested can go to the Writers Week website for the full schedule.