Photojournalist shares photos during last day of Writers Week

Lorelei Ryan, Editor

Wiley Price presented a set of photos to students during 3rd hour

Photojournalist Wiley Price presented a slideshow of photos he has taken in St. Louis during 3rd hour on the last day of Writers Week.

Price is a writer for the St. Louis American, a newspaper for the African-American community in the area. He is known for his photos included in the publications, ranging from happy, to emotional, to powerful.

He explained that he stays on a theme, so when it is summer, he’ll have “warm photos”, including ones of kids playing in fountains/water parks, to when it is winter, he’ll have “winter” photos, ones of children sledding or playing in the snow.

His photos were taken at many different places and in many different situations. Included were pictures from the protests in Ferguson, everyday life of African-Americans in the city, car accidents, funeral processions, and even former President Barack Obama.

One of his pictures of Obama is currently in the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture in Washington, D.C.

He described the story behind each of the pictures, explaining what he went through while taking the photo, what was happening in the photo, or how he came about to know about the opportunity. Many were because he was in the right place at the right time, and some were because he was asked to cover it, like the car accidents and funeral processions.

Senior Katrina Owen attended this session during her History Through Art class, and was very impressed with his work.

“I liked the stories that went along with all of the interesting pictures he showed,” she said. “He’s a pretty good photographer.”