Writers Week provided a variety of sessions for students

Corey Black presents during Writers Week in the fifth session on Monday

Writer’s Week at Pattonville was the week of March 19-23. Staff, students, and professional writers shared their writing each hour of the day for the entire week. Teachers were invited to sign their classes up for the sessions that were held the week before Spring Break.

Camille Brown said Writers Week was a neat thing.

“I felt like this was a great opportunity for people to step out of their comfort zone and express who they are and what they like to do,” Brown said. “I liked that there was a variation of things we got to hear.”

Students shared their writing that included poems, stories and raps. Professionals that spoke varied from authors to musicians to photographers.

“I’d like to hear more people share their music,” Jailah Broadway said. “I’ve always felt as if lyrics convey more of a story than any other type of writing.”

Many of the students that attended Writers Week had a favorite session from the presenters that they were able to see.

“Corey Black was amazing,” Mya Harris said. “His words were extremely powerful. I really enjoyed his session.”

Anna de Garcia enjoyed the presentation from English teacher Ms. Edna Nichols.

“Ms. Nichols was an inspiring presenter, she said. “A few weeks ago in class, we did a blind poetry session, and I got to read one of the poems she presented and it was even better when read by the author with the emotion and tone they wanted to convey to the reader.”

Writer’s Week was in its inaugural year in 2018 and is scheduled again for the first week of March in 2019.