High school to hold student MVP ceremony on April 26

Selected students received a reminder about the MVP ceremony to be held on April 26.

Pattonville will be holding its 17th annual MVP ceremony in the auditorium on April 26. Students have been anonymously chosen by teachers as a “Most Valuable Pirate” so the students can be surprised when the nominating staff member places a medal around the recipient during the MVP ceremony.

Each year PHS staff choose to honor a student for Most Valuable Pirate. Any student can be nominated, for any reason. There is no set criteria. It can be based on academic excellence, overcoming obstacles, work ethic, personality, extracurricular participation, etc. Each student can only be nominated by one teacher per year.

Students have received letters and reminders of the event and friends and family are invited to come see the selected students receive their award.

This formal event will start at 1:30 p.m. immediately after Homeroom on the Modified C-Day schedule.

Sophomore India Henry is one of the students that has been chosen as a MVP.

“When I first got the little card, I didn’t know what it was,” Henry said. “I didn’t know who had picked me so I asked all of my teachers but they said that they couldn’t tell me. I’m excited to see who chose me but I already have an idea.”

Others are shocked that they even got invited to such a special occasion.

“I was confused on why I got it,” Marquise Cousins said. “I then started to realize someone on the staff believes I was worthy of being an outstanding student.”

Students invited to this event will be receiving medals as they walk on the stage to meet the teacher who selected them while a brief explanation written by the teacher as to why the student deserved the honor of MVP recognition is read. The explantation will be printed in the MVP program and read aloud during the ceremony.

Afterward, a reception will be held in the library providing food and drinks for friends and family.

Students will keep their medals and the selected MVPs will also be able to wear these medals during their graduation ceremony.