Gibsons dominate in the 3,200 meter run race

Brooke Jenkins, Writer

The Pattonville track team competed in the Clayton Invitational Track Meet on April 27-28 and the boys team placed second overall only losing to the previous state champions, Blue Springs High School.

Robert and Lucas Gibson take the podium to receive medals after placing 1st and 4th in the 3200m run.

The Gibson twins, members of the distance running team, shined in the 3200m run. Robert Gibson took 1st place and Lucas Gibson finished in 4th.

Robert, not the biggest fan of the about 2 mile long race, was happy to win the event.

“I don’t really like the 3200m,” he said. “It’s a long race, and it can get boring, but it was fun racing against all the guys, and racing with Lucas at the same time.”

They train together, match warmups together, and compete together on the track. The Gibsons love the brotherly competition, especially Lucas.

“I do like competing with Robert because I think it makes us both run faster,” he said. “We push each other to be the best.”

With the Clayton Invitational Meet being the same format as the MSHSAA State Track Meet, the Gibsons have high hopes on making it to state this year.

“The goal is to get to state and put up some fast times in hopes of being All-State athletes,” Lucas said.

With both Gibsons pushing each other, the dream of competing at state might actually be a reality this year.