Muslim Student Association to host dinner event at Pattonville

Signs advertising the MSA Dinner are hanging up around the school. Tickets are on sale until May 4.

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) is hosting an informational dinner on May 11 from 7 to 9:30 p.m.  The dinner will feature two guest speakers that address issues relating to Islamaphobia.  The speakers will also explain Ramadan which is the Muslim fasting period.

Amna Saeed is the president of the MSA.

“It’s important for non-Muslim students to attend because people have usually heard of Ramadan but they don’t know why Muslims do it and there’s a lot of misconceptions.”

The dinner will allow students to try traditional Middle Eastern and South Asian foods. Saeed explains that she is “most excited for biryani, which is spicy rice with chicken.”

Before dinner, attendees will have the opportunity to walk to different informational and interactive booths.

“I’m really excited for the hijab booth,” she said. “People will have the opportunity to try on hijabs and learn about why people wear them.”

Sophomore Afina Fayez creates a henna design on the hand of an SSD teacher.

The dinner will cost $5 to attend and students can buy tickets at lunch in the Commons. Saeed said all students are welcome.

“This night is mostly targeted toward non-Muslims so they can learn about our culture and holidays,” she said. “Since there is only about 10 students in MSA, it’s important we get the word out.”